Warming, comforting and full of flavour, this asian chicken noodle soup is easy and quick to prepare. One of our family favourites, it is light and filling at the same time, but can be easily transformed into a more substantial meal.
- 2 Chicken Legs (Free Range if possible)
- Carrot – 1
- Onion – ½
- Pak Choi – 2
- Shiitake Mushrooms – 6-8
- Ginger – ½ (or to taste)
- Spring Onions – 3
- Noodles – 300g (Soba, Udon or Rice Noodles work well)
- Salt and pepper to taste
This recipe is suitable for pressure cooking and conventional cooking. The times below are listed for cooking in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker, but can be easily adjusted for any other pressure cooker or conventional cooking.
1. Place chicken legs in the pot, add water (3l mark will give you 3-4 generous portions)
2. Add finely chopped ginger and ½ a peeled onion – these will add flavour and will make the broth clear
3. Select the “Meat” function, reduce the time to 25 min, close the lid
4. Once the chicken is cooked, remove the bones, onion and ginger if preferred
5. Add the sliced mushrooms, pak choi, grated or finely sliced carrots, spring onions. Leave to rest for 10-15 min.
6. Prepare the noodles separately and add directly to each serving. Mixing noodles with the soup in the pot will make the soup cloudy.
Note: The water will not evaporate, so do make sure the volume of water you add is the volume of soup that you need. For 2-3 generous portions I would recommend filling the pot to the 3l mark.
For a more substantial meal, add more noodles, edamame beans, and broccoli.
Serve with soy sauce and fresh coriander (optional).