Hearty and filling Beef Soup makes a great alternative to chicken noodle soup. Full of flavour, with tender beef and chunky vegetables, it makes a perfect warming winter dinner.
I make beef soup in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. I love that it makes even the toughest beef tender at just 30 min and keeps the soup warm for hours afterwards. Easy to clean, no mess, no leaks, Instant Pot is one of those appliances that make you wonder how you ever cooked before you had it.
If you do not have a pressure cooker, this recipe is suitable for conventional cooking too. Simply adjust the cooking times accordingly to ensure that beef is tender before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 600g beef
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- ½ onion whole
- 2 clove garlic, finely sliced
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped into cubes
- 2 small potatoes, chopped into cubes
- 150g mushrooms, roughly choppes
- 2-3 bay leaves
- A handful of whole peppercorns
- Salt and fresh herbs to taste
- Noodles (optional)
- Place beef, celery stalk, peppercorns, bay leaves, ½ whole onion and salt in pressure cooker pot.
- Fill the pot to 5l, set to meat (30min) and leave to cook
- Heat the oil in a pan, fry the onions until golden, add mushrooms and sauté until just tender
- Prepare the sweet potatoes, potatoes, tomatoes and garlic
- Once the beef is ready and the pressure has been released, add the mushrooms and onions and the remaining vegetables
- Set to Manual function and adjust the time to 20 min
- Add noodles, herbs and salt if desired before serving