This Instant Pot recipe is inspired by beef in oyster sauce stir fry. The beef is fall apart tender and the ginger and oyster sauce flavours will satisfy a take away craving on a Friday night.
I am a huge fan of Chinese flavours. Unfortunately I am not convinced that my local Chinese Restaurant offers anything even remotely healthy on its menu. The Chinese Beef in Oyster Sauce was my attempt to satisfy the oriental food craving in a healthy way. It is my new favourite recipe that I cannot wait to make again.
If you do not have the Instant Pot or any other pressure cooker, this recipe will work well as a stir fry too. I prefer the Instant Pot version as the beef becomes deliciously tender and full of flavour, whilst the vegetables stay crunchy and keep their colour. I used broccoli, carrot, sweet pepper, a celery stalk and a few spring onions, but pak choi or any other vegetables would also work well. I only wish I had some shiitake mushrooms stashed away in the fridge. Their taste and texture would have fitted in beautifully.
Instant Pot, you never fail to surprise me with how versatile you are :-).
- 750g beef thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ onion sliced
- Broccoli, carrot, sweet pepper, celery stalks, pak choi or any other vegetables
- 1 cup beef stock or water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Ginger root finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- Prepare the marinade by mixing all ingredients together
- Marinade the beef for 20 min
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute, saute the beef for a few minutes
- Add beef stock or water to deglaze the pot
- Press Cancel, then select Meat, manually adjust the cooking time to 15-20min
- Whilst the meat is cooking, slice the vegetables
- Microwave the vegetables for 1-2 min until just tender
- Release the pressure manually, lift the lid and add the vegetables
- Serve with rice or noodles