These spring onion pancakes are gluten free, deliciously tasty and easy to make. Serve with smoked salmon and soy sauce for an Asian inspired healthy breakfast.
Scallion and spring onion pancakes are one of my favourite choices on a Chinese restaurant menu. I hardly ever order them though as they are totally addictive and I will not be able to stop at having just one. I am also trying to cut back on easy carbs and white flour is mostly off my menu too.
The recipe below is my version of spring onion pancakes, but they are gluten and lactose free. Their texture is less chewy than the usual pancakes. They are more like breakfast pancakes and less like flatbread. The fresh oniony taste is still the same though; making the spring onion pancakes a great savoury breakfast option.
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 1-2 tablespoons of oat bran
- 3 eggs
- Parsley or coriander (optional)
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Smoked salmon
- Soy sauce
1. Wash the spring onions thoroughly under cool tap water to wash out any dirt. Slice the green tops thinly.
2. Sprinkle some salt, use a spoon to squish the sliced onions
3. Mix in the eggs. There should be enough eggs to make the mixture thick. If the mixture is too runny, add some more spring onions or any other greens you have.
4. Add a couple of tablespoons of oat bran to make the mixture thicker
5. Heat a large frying pan and oil lightly
6. Spoon the pancakes into the pan, cook for 1-2 min each side until golden.
7. Serve warm or cold as desired with your choice of savoury toppings.